All You Need To Know About Crohn’s Disease

It is common for people who have Crohn’s disease to seek support once diagnosed with the condition. This provides you with a support system and relief from pain because you find out you are not the only one experiencing the problem. While having support and comparing notes with others who suffer from Crohn’s might be all you need to feel comfortable, speaking to your specialist is quite helpful. If you struggle with Crohn’s disease in Santa Monica, here are a few more things you need to know about this condition:

The condition affects people differently

Crohn’s is an autoimmune condition or a type of IBD (inflammatory bowel disease). The immune system in people who suffer from this condition attacks the gastrointestinal tract, leading to inflammation. The attack often causes symptoms like fever, abdominal pain, rectal bleeding, and diarrhea. Approcimately 70% of Crohn’s affects the top portion of the large intestine and bottom portion of the small intestine. At the same time, the other 30% affects only the large intestine. This difference in attack location causes a significant difference in the severity of symptoms and treatment response. Therefore, if you choose to take on another person’s treatment without your physician’s directions, you may very well make the problem worse. Additionally, due to the difference in body structure and immunity, even people with the same type of Crohn’s disease often experience a difference in symptoms, which is a mystery even to doctors.

What are the effects of the disease?

Although the disease will vary from one person to another, it generally affects one’s digestive system by inhibiting its ability to absorb essential nutrients and rid the body of waste. Due to these issues, your body will experience inflammation that leads to the development of various symptoms. The disease prevents you from experiencing normal living and causes your body to fight its parts internally. It also reverses how your immunity system operates and, instead of facilitating healing to the body, causes damage.

What should you do after receiving a diagnosis?

Crohn’s disease has no curative medical treatment as of now. However, that does not mean that if you do have it, there is nothing you can do. Communicating with your doctor is a key step you should take once you notice a difference in your gastrointestinal system. With your doctor’s direction, it will be easy to manage the problem to ensure it does not stress you more. Since this is a chronic disease, effectively managing it can relieve you from excess stress that may contribute to other conditions. Additionally, when you visit your doctor, he/she may prescribe medications that will help ease the inflammation until you experience remission.

Where your health is critical, it is your responsibility to maintain a healthy lifestyle. It is also essential to know that it is not necessarily your fault should you experience a difference. So, instead of running to friends for advice and help, it is important to approach your doctor and explain your condition to receive the professional assistance you need.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

six × = sixty